It’s official: Americans are the most attractive in the world

Indians figure among the first 10 in the list of the most attractive-looking people in the world while Americans tol the chart, a new survey has found.  While the US, home to Hollywood hunk George Clooney and actress Angelina Jolie among others, has come first, the second position is occupied by Brazil in the poll of more than 5,000 globe-trotting Britons. Spain, which boasts Hollywood actress Penelope Cruz as one of its natives, has come third. Blonde, tanned surfers of Australia saw it voted into fourth place, while Italy came fifth, according to the survey.

Sweden, which have models like Victoria Silvstedt, help the Scandinavian country into sixth spot, while England made it to the seventh place in the poll. India, home to Bollywood beauties Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Kareena Kapoor and Katrina Kaif, and heartthrob Salman Khan, among others, has come eighth, while France came ninth and Canada finished off the top 10. Other countries to feature in the top 20 include Portugal, Japan and Netherlands with Germany completing the top 20 list.

A spokeswoman for www.OnePoll.com which carried out the survey, was quoted by The Daily Telegraph as saying, “America has got a lot on offer and boasts some of the sexiest people on the planet. The likes of the Jessica Alba, Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt all help America’s image as a hot bed of good looking people. But with a population of more than 300 million, they do have an unfair advantage. But in fairness, when you think of good looking countries, Sweden, Italy, France and Brazil talent all spring to mind before us lazy, pale Brits. If you are looking for some fun in the sun you know where to head on holiday.”

You might also be interested in

IPL assails Warney’s fears

Shane Warne has said the Indian Premier League (IPL) may have to be moved to South Africa if terror threats against players were found to be credible. Warne has told the Australian media that the threat by an Al-Qaeda-liked organizations to target the IPL was a serious concern. “The threats of the past 24 hours have certainly got me thinking twice and is of deep concern to athletes across several sports. If the threats are proven to be real, then organizers of the IPL may look at moving the tournament. We moved it last year at short notice (to South Africa), so it can be done,” Warne has quoted as saying by Herald Sun on Wednesday.

But IPL retorted saying there is no need for a shift. “The security arrangements are perfect in the country. The South African national team is playing in India currently without any trouble. What bigger proof one needs to show that there are no security fears to the IPL. We are constantly monitoring the situation. There is no need to shift the IPL to anywhere,” Lalit Modi, the IPL Chairman said. According to the paper, Warne is waiting for the advice of Australian cricket’s security expert Reg Dickason before making a decision on whether to travel to India. The Rajasthan Royals skipper is expected to land in India lather this month. The report also said the Australian players are considering hiring their own security personnel.

“We will be staying in hotels and traveling in buses and as we saw with the Sr Lankan team in Lahore (which was attacked last year), it can be dangerous,” Warne told the paper. Rajasthan Royals, however, downplayed Warne’s concern. “He is quite comfortable with the security blanket provided by the IPL. I spoke to him a few hours ago and Shane is happy with the security arrangements provided by Nicholls and Steyn. There are no concerns at all. The IPL has been briefing us regularly,” Royals CEO Sean Morris told an English daily.

Twenty Australians, including Shane Watson, Adam Gilchrist, Matthew Hayden and Andrew Symonds, will be taking part in the 45-day tournament but most current Australian players will be turning up only at the later stage of the tournament. As an IPL official said the presence or the absence of the Australians will have little impact on the tournament. Meanwhile, the South African Cricketers Association, the country’s official players’ body said, it is working with Cricket South Africa over the matter. “We can also advise the players only after we get to know the security details. We will suitably advise the players after getting all the information,” Saca chief Tony Irish told an English daily.

You might also be interested in

Google falls foul of Canada’s privacy laws

Canada’s privacy commissioner accused Google on Wednesday of breaching privacy laws when  it launched its new online social network Buzz last week, and demanded compliance. “We have seen a storm of protest and outrage over alleged privacy violations and my office also has questions about how Google Buzz has met the requirements of privacy laws in Canada,” commissioner Jenifer Stoddart said in a statement. Buzz was added last week as a feature on Google’s Gmail, which reportedly has 146 million users worldwide.

Some Gmail users complained that they were automatically assigned a network of “followers” based on those with whom they communicated with most using Google’s email and online chat services, without notice or consent. The list of “followers” was also included in a widely available online profile. Stoddart said she reminded Google officials that the California-based company must abide by Canadian privacy laws when launching products in Canada. “We have an open line with Canada’s privacy commissioner – we had an in-depth discussion with her about how Google Buzz works and about the changes we made”, a Google official told AFP. “We are always happy to hear from privacy commissioners in Canada and in other countries.”

Google said it routinely briefs privacy commissioners regarding new products as a courtesy and to get feedback. The Internet giant has issued a public apology regarding the short-lived automatic social-network creation feature originally built into Buzz and introduced changes to try to address the widespread criticism. But Stoddart has yet to say whether she was satisfied with the fixes. Google is the second online company to be investigated by Canada’s privacy czar. Last year, Facebook agreed to better secure the privacy of its users worldwide after Stoddart probed its policy of holding onto personal information from deactivated accounts in violation of Canadian law. Facebook was also accused of not adequately restricting access by outside software developers to personal information people put on profile pages.

You might also be interested in